Saturday, September 7, 2013

Appenzell

Day 2 of our summer holiday in Switzerland:

Our second day in Switzerland was spent at Appenzell, a small village about 100km east of Zurich. Our agenda for day was to check out the richly decorated facade of the buildings in Appenzell, have some Appenzeller beer and to do some easy hiking around Ebenalp.

Our main modes of transport in Switzerland are the train and our feet. We bought the a pair of Swiss Passes and my son was given a free pass (Free Family Pass). On the hindsight, we should have planned our trip more carefully to maximize our return on the passes. The Swiss Pass is available for 4, 8, 15 or 22 days. And we were in Switzerland for 11 days. We should have gone for 8 or 15 days.

The famous Lowen Pharmacy that I always see on webpages when I google 'Appenzell'.
Finally I am here and standing in front of it! =)
There are paintings of different herbs on the panels.

The village is a small. Other than the beautiful, fariy tale-like facades, also look for the shops selling cheese and the Appenzeller Brewery.
I went in here with then intention of buying some cheese.
But, oh man! I don't think I can work here, the smell was too over-whelming for me.
Smell from a slice of cheese vs smell from a whole shop-full of Appenzeller cheese is very different.
Cloudy Appenzeller Bier for lunch
Inside the Appenzeller Brewery.
There are audio tours in various European languages and a short video.
The actual brewery that brews the beer is off limits.

Till my next blog post, have some cheese! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...