Friday, July 20, 2012

What makes me a Singaporean?

I am a true-blue Singaporean because ....
1) I use tissue packs to ‘chope’ seats at hawker centers so that I can go and queue up to buy my food. Don’t you think that is good time management? My 'kiasu' syndrome at work. =)

2) I end my sentences with lah or lor, lah!

3) I love abbreviations! ERP, PIE, CTE, MBS, RWS, GSS, LKY. I just realised that WTB stands for Where To Buy at the motherhood.com.sg forums.

4) I love ‘fooding’ – this means going around and looking for food to enjoy. Singapore is a heaven for foodies! (BTW, Bangkok is a food heaven too!)

5) Childhood? What’s that? I send my son for enrichment and tuition classes during the weekdays after school and over the weekends because passing with Cs and Ds are not good enough for me. He must get straight As. Experts say that ‘preschool should be free in Singapore’. You mean the government will pay for my son’s enrichment and tuition classes? Yippee!! =)

6) IseeIshootIstomp. Don’t you love those busy-buddy people who go around taking pictures of everything and post them on STOMP with their own opinion? But, CAUTION! Don’t believe everything you see and read there, even STOMP content producer can fake amazing story and stomp.

7) I blame the government for everything and expect my MP to solve my problems. Today morning, on my way to work, the escalator at the MRT broke down and I have to use the stairs! Why can’t the government ensure that the escalator is in good working condition all the time? Must write to the MP and complain. Or maybe write to ST forum and let everyone know.

8) I am a middle-age aunty who walks with a limp and I expect people to give me the reserved seat on the MRT. It’s mine and I don’t need to thank them for their very kind and considerate gesture.

9) I hire a maid and I expect her to take care of my elderly parents, my 2 active toddlers, do all the housework and cooking, wash my 2 cars and also clean the windows without a safety harness. I have to work from 9 to 5 in the office and all she does is stay at home. Of course, she has to do some work, lah!

10) I know the 4 races in Singapore are Chinese, Malay, Indian and Eurasian. The young Singaporean kids these days are so confused, they think the 4 races are Chinese, Malay, Ang-mor and Bangali. Or worse, some think there is only 1 race in Singapore ... the F1 race.

11) I don’t chew gum anymore but that’s worth it … look at how clean the grounds are in Singapore. There are no black, unslightly gum marks around and the MRT doors don't get stuck anymore. The MRT just break down every once in a while, that’s all.

12) I am a middle-age aunty and I can still recite the Singapore pledge. Years of going to Singapore schools would do that to you. When I recite it in my heart, I can still feel the lump in my throat when I’m at ‘pledge ourselves as one united people’. So true, regardless of race, language or religion, we are living harmoniously as one united people in Singapore.

Singapore will be celebrating its 47th birthday on 9th August 2012. It has come a long way since its independence. Have a blast, Singapore! =)
Till my next blog post, do something SINGAPOREAN! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...