Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Interlaken and Jungfraujoch

Day 3 and 4 of our summer holiday in Switzerland:

We travelled from Zurich to Interlaken in the morning of Day 3, visited the Swiss Open-Air Folk Museum at Ballenberg in afternoon and went on a boat cruise from Brienz to Interlaken.

We stayed in a small bed & breakfast in Interlaken West and from there we took the train and bus to the Museum. Our Swiss Passes gave us free entry to the Museum. The Museum showcased the architecture, life and crafts from the various regions in Switzerland. It is ok, not great and quite fake. There are some farm animals kept in captivity which really made me sad.
=(

The highlight for me was the boat trip from Brienz back to Interlaken. I loved it! It was very relaxing, the weather was great and the wind blowing at me made me feel so light and happy. 
We took this boat from Brienz to Interlaken Ost

On Day 4, we set off early to Jungfraujoch, the Top of Europe. The train rides took about two and a half hours. The place like a shopping mall up there. There are tons of people, a few restaurants with overpriced food, an 'ice palace', a history exhibit, a video show, ski and sled facilities, etc. We took the elevator to the Sphinx observatory, the highest viewing point. We went out to walk around on the snow and my son went sledding. He has been looking forward to doing some sledding or skiing.
The views from the train rides were beautiful! I sat on the right side of the train and I want to say a big 'thank-you' to the Swiss who built the train tracks and tunnels up at this high altitude for ordinary people like me to enjoy.
 
Till my next post, forget about the destination and just enjoy the journey! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...