Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bukhansan National Park


I do not like the heat and the humidity in Bangkok and so I try to refrain any form of physical activity outdoors. When I go on holidays, I like to travel during fall or winter when the temperature drops and the humidity is low. I also like to experience a mix of city sightseeing and off beaten paths. And this is how my family and I landed up at the BUKHANSAN NATIONAL PARK last October when we visited Seoul.

Getting to the park is relatively straight-forward. Take the subway to the Dobongsan Station and follow your fellow-hikers to the entrance of the park. We went on a weekday and there are many hikers on the train. You will recognize them by their attire and the equipment that they carry. Just get off the train and follow them. =)

We had a great time at the park. We laughed at each other's climbing clumsiness & heavy panting and pointed out interesting sights. However, we were very unprepared for the hike and did not make it to the top. We made it up to the Big Rock, like many Koreans did, and turned back there. We went on a weekday and my hunch is all Korean kids are at school, so we did not see a single kid around at all. I am so proud of my son who went through the tough climbing despite his short legs. And we did not bump into any foreigners too, so I guess this must be a local haunt.

One of the biggest learning from the hike is to GO PREPARED. Look how prepared the Koreans are - hats, shades, jacket, backpack, walking sticks, hiking shoes, gloves, food, etc. The path uphill is very rocky and steep and more than 2km to the top. You will definitely need all these equipment.

Come prepared like the Koreans

And NOT like this


In our small bag, all we had was one small pack of chips and one bottle (400ml) of water for the three of us. BIG mistake. We also wore our city clothes which hindered some challenging climbing movements.

Importance of the walking stick:
Other than helping you keep your balance and negotiate steep slopes, walking sticks are also good for pointing out places on maps. =)


Without the walking sticks, we had to do a lot of 'hand-holding'

What I love about the BUKHANSAN NATIONAL PARK:
  • On the way to the park, there are a lot of shops selling hiking equipment and food. I hear that they have good bargains and cheaper prices than the shops in the city.
  • The signboards for directions are very clear. Just follow the signs, you won't get lost. And they are in English too! =)


  • I did not manage to get a picture of the toilets but they are really clean and come with a no-hand flushing system. They have levers near to the floor and you press on them with your foot to activate the flush. 
  • At the end of the hike, they have 'high pressure air blowers' to help blow away all the soil and dust that get stuck to your shoes. I love the Koreans - they think of everything! =)
Orderly queue to get your shoes 'sprayed'

All in all, we had a great time. The next time we go, we will be very well-prepared to make it to the top.

Till my next blog entry, go hiking! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...