Sunday, March 4, 2012

What boys want ....

If you have a child in primary school, you can definitely relate to this blog entry.
Every half a year or so, my son will came back from school and request that we get him the latest craze in school. I call these crazes ‘toys’ but he calls them ‘cool gadgets’ (Sigh! Generation gap.). These crazes include:
Bagugan: I still clueless about what these small but heavy ping-pong balls do. They pop open to expose something when thrown to hit something. What exactly are these things?!?
Nerf: These are scary play guns for adults. They range from some small ones that hang onto a key chain to machine-gun-looking ones that fire out a string of ammo darts to motorized water-blasting ones. I strongly resisted getting any Nerf guns for my son but a friend of mine from the US bought one for him and he was ecstatic. =(  

Small pocket-sized Nerf
Beyblades: You spin these things off to a ‘stadium’ hoping to knock some other beyblades off. What is the kick here?!? The beyblades come in fighter-sounding names like Storm Pegasus, Dark Wolf, etc. These things are so popular that they even have competitions at shopping malls in Singapore.

Beyblades with the launcher
Match Attax: Soccer players trading cards. I would give away all the bad-looking players and keep the good-looking, yummy ones but that is not the way it is done. =)

Match Attax trading cards

And the latest that my son is into – Yo-yos: Do you know that there are responsive and unresponsive yo-yos? When I was a kid, there is only one type of yo-yo and they cost about S$1 piece. A few weekends ago, my son spent Baht395 on his yo-yo. That is S$16. 16x more than what I spent on my yo-yo! I should go and work for a toy company like Hasbro. I hear they made about 20% operating margin last year.
Blazing Teens Yoyo
One craze that I am all-nuts over is Cabin Fever. This is the latest installation in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. This sort of healthy reading crazes, I like and can support. =)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Cabin Fever

Till my next blog entry, stay young always! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...