Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pandan Kaya

One of my favorite snack item in Singapore is kaya toast with tea. It is a sinful choice but also a very tasty one. The kaya and the toast are not that evil but the slab of butter in between is the killer. Nevertheless, the combination of the fragrant pandan kaya, killer butter and toasted brown bread is an awesome snack whenever I need the sugarkick. Sometimes, I also have this for dessert. =)


Kaya toast from Toast Box


In Bangkok, it is not easy to get the type of pandan kaya that you can get in Singapore or Malaysia. The kaya in Bangkok is very green (looks very artificially green) and it is just sweet. The fragrant coconut and pandan taste is not there. So, I have resorted to making my own.


Making kaya is a very time-consuming process, so, please do not attempt to make it if you do not have a whole afternoon free. I use a very simple recipe and spend the rest of the time stirring the mixture at the stove. Since I am an amateur cook and like to multi-task while making the kaya, I always use the 'double boil' method to prevent the kaya from burning.


Here is my simple recipe for a small jar of pandan kaya. If you need more, just double or triple the amount of ingredients.


Ingredients:
1 egg
100ml coconut (I always use the packet ones for convenience)
80gm of sugar
3 to 5 large pandan leaves


Method:
  1. Beat the egg and coconut milk together.
  2. Sieve and drain into small metal pot. (In the 'double boil' method, pour water into a large pot and set it to boil. Place a smaller metal pot on a stand into the large pot, immersing it in the boiling water. This prevents the kaya from getting direct heat from the fire and reduces the possibility of burning and hence ruining your hard-earned kaya.)
  3. Knot the pandan leaves together and add into the egg and coconut mixture.
  4. Add in the sugar in batches.
  5. Simmer and stir until you achieve your desired spreading consistency for your kaya. I usually have to do this for about 3 to 4 hours. I think this can be faster if I set the heat to a higher flame but I feel safer doing this low  flame (so much for being a risk-taker =)).
  6. When it is done, pour into sterilized jar, let it cool down and refrigerate.
Please note that the kaya will last probably about a week. I usually make a small batch and finish it up within a week. I toast my bread, spread the kaya, without the butter, and have it for breakfast with my morning tea. Great way to start my day! =)

Homemade kaya. Yummy! =)

Till my next blog entry, make some kaya! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...