Thursday, February 16, 2012

Afternoon at Shimotakaido


Having visited Tokyo a couple of times before and covered most of the ‘touristy’ places in the city, my friend and I chose to hang out at a local neighbourhood one recent afternoon. We picked Shimotakaido since it is recommended on CNNGo and a short ride on the train from the Keio line at Shinjuku. We were not keen taking another long train ride.
Sunset at the walking street of Shimotakaido
Train crossing
There is a walking street at the Shimotakaido station. The walking street has many small shops selling vegetables and fruits that extend out to the street. I reckon that if I stay here, I can do without a fridge at home and buy my dinner ingredients on the way home from work. =)
Big tomatoes ...
We walked into a Wal-mart (unfortunately, I can't remember its local name) supermarket and on the top floor, I noticed that only 25% of their diaper shelf space is for Merries baby diapers and diaper pants. The remaining 75% is devoted to adult diapers. This must be a sure sign of their aging population! Or maybe this is a senior citizen neighborhood? I wonder if we will see this in Singapore someday? =(
Bicycles parked outside 'Wal-mart'

A few other things stood out for me ....
  • A small store selling wafer fish with red bean (azuki). I LOVE these snacks, so even though there is a queue, I must get one to devour. The fish was yummy. They served it with a crispy crust and red bean filling of the right sweetness for me. Y120 each.


Yummy wafer fish with red bean!

  • A small store selling cute stuff for moms and babies. For sale are things ranging from bibs for babies to cool reading glasses for moms. I bought a small bag and an organizer bag from here. =)

  • Apartment block with double-deck parking for bicycles. I have seen these parking for cars but bicycles … it is my first-time. =)


Interesting time spent at Shimotakaido.
Till my next blog entry, have fun! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...